A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 18 July 2016

Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation & Step 1 Radiant Primer : Review




Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation & Step 1  Radiant Primer

Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation & Step 1  Radiant Primer

Make Up For Ever Step 1 Radiant Primer Yellow

Considering it's been relatively warm-ish here in the UK, the weather in general has been pretty dismal to say the least! I'm really hoping that the long lengthy spells of the hot Summer sun will finally arrive in time for when our kids break up from school.

During this warmer spell, I've been getting much acquainted to the much-hyped Make Up For Ever Ultra HD - a foundation I stumbled upon whilst at IMATS back in June, which I have to say, is one of the best purchases I've made this year! I'll be honest, I only really bought these as it was on such a good offer of £17.00 compared to the usual price of £29.00 for the foundation and £14.00 compared to £24.00 for the primer.

In case you wasn't aware, the Ultra HD is the replacement product of the original HD foundation which left a lot of fans unhappy! I never got the opportunity to use the original as we've haven't had the pleasure of enjoying Make Up For Ever for very long, here in the UK.



First Experience at the Makeup Course

I used this briefly at the makeup course I attended last year, and despite reading nothing but rave reviews I was left unimpressed as I struggled to see any coverage on my fellow student I was working on. Looking back at the time of the course, (it was November, by the way) I did apply this during a dark and very overcast afternoon which left me to rely on these very strong and brightly lit led mirror lights, which to be fair, only really showed up thick and heavy makeup; so it's hardly surprising I had difficulties in seeing the natural beauty of this foundation. Like I just mentioned, due to the price I thought I'd give it another go and "boy" I'm so glad I did!

Skin Type

As you were probably aware, I have combination skin which in my view is a "real pain" to try and find something to deal with the oily t-zone issue whilst providing hydration as well as coverage for my rosy cheeks. Normally this time of year, I like to switch to a lighter coverage in form of a BB cream, something like the one from Garnier generally fits the bill. Make Up For Ever Ultra HD comes in an extensive range of shades (40 shades in total) and claims suitability for all skin types, although I've read in many recent reviews that it has a tendency of showing up dry patches!

Whilst at IMATS, I was colour matched by a consultant from Make Up For Ever in the shade Y305 Soft Beige, which in the original would be shade 140. I didn't want anything pink but not too yellow either so she picked out this shade which has just a slight yellow undertone, enough to counteract that pinkness. Lately, since that colour match, I now have to mix it with another darker shade due to (what little) exposure to the sun.


Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation


Ultra HD Foundation 30ml | £29.00

Recently, my skin has been looking pretty good and I only need 1 pump so if you have any skin issues where high-coverage is needed you may need a couple.  

Each time I use this, I'm always left in awe of this ultra-lightweight texture because it feels totally weightless on my skin. It allows the natural glow of my skin to come through, so my skin looks like skin, whilst still providing a decent amount of coverage that is light-medium. It builds beautifully giving a natural even finish that looks alive and awake. My skin looks so smooth, it's incredible! 

A pump dispenser is a welcome form of application that helps to dispense the product to the back of my hand before applying with my chosen tool. Application wise, I prefer to use either: a damp beauty blender type sponge or my buffing brush from Real Techniques - whichever mood I'm in really. I only need 1- 1/2 pumps for the entire face and gain that extra coverage by using the stippling method on the cheeks. I really love the gorgeous dewy look to my cheeks....flawless...absolutely beautiful! I find it really long-wearing too and lasts all day without any touch ups.

 My only gripe is that after a couple of hours, my forehead begins to look shiny again. But to be honest, after all these years of trying out foundations, other than mineral-based formulas, I don't think I'm ever going to find one that will eliminate that problem unless I find a "super strength" face powder or primer. Some reviews have claimed that it oxidises throughout the day. I didn't experience this at all. 

Due to being camera shy, the only thing I can't comment on is the HD element, as this is supposed to be the next makeup innovation that gives you that pixel-perfect finish on camera which I do feel it's a little over-hyped for that.

Obviously, we've yet to experience that extreme heat but going by the performance so far, I think this will still be comfortable enough to wear during those hot spells. We shall have to wait and see!


Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation, Swatches


Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation





Make Up For Ever Step 1 Radiant Primer Yellow


Step 1 Skin Equalizer Radiant Primer 30ml Yellow | £24.00

Make Up For Ever also provide a range of primers that help to balance any skin issues whilst also giving radiance and helping the longevity of your foundation as well.

Make Up For Ever Step 1 Radiant Primer Yellow


Make Up For Ever Step 1 Radiant Primer Yellow, Swatches


This yellow cream formula works by addressing my skin concern by reducing that pinkness in my cheeks whilst providing a smooth base to prolong the wear of my foundation. Don't worry! This won't leave you looking Jaundiced as the shade is only lightly pigmented so it blends in with your natural skin tone.

However, for cheeks that are "very high" in colour, I don't feel this would be strong enough to tone down that redness, as the pigmentation isn't strong enough and is too sheer for that. Despite this, it does provide a lovely base, and other than the t-zone, it's perfect for the rest of the face . However, I wished I got the grey tube as it would've probably been better suited for my oily t-zone.

Have you tried any products from Make Up For Ever? What foundation have you been enjoying, lately?





                                                                        Toni. xoxo


SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I've not tried any of MUFE products but I have a few on my list :) That foundation sounds lovely although I'm not sure if the light coverage would satisfy me. I would love to try a sample first. And what a bargain you got yourself! x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Make Up For Ever will send you a sample. Perhaps you could email them or find out your nearest counter at Debenhams. Surely it's not just Oxford St? Xx

      Delete
  2. I want to try MUFE foundation for the longest of times. I am very tempted! I am very jealous of you as you got such a good deal on it.
    Angie | Chocolate & Lipstick | Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly done alright there. It'll be full price next time, though! Xx

      Delete
  3. Toni I also love this foundation! I have 2 shades which I mix together to get the perfect shade, and I love the finish of it too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Jo! The finish is pretty special. Xx

      Delete
  4. I loved the original version of this & would like to try this newer one. Having said that, so many people rave about the stick version so I'd like to give that a go first! xx

    Beautylymin| Abercrombie & Fitch First Instinct Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to try the stick version too but didn't have my shade. Xx

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to get my hands on the new MUFE foundation, it sounds perfect for my skin. The primer sounds like a great product also x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! The primer is great for normal and dry skins. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig