A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Friday, 9 September 2016

Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm. Is It Worth The Hype?

Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm Review


You're probably all familiar with the story that's fairly old news now from YouTuber Nikkie from Nikkie Tutorials, where she forgot to pack her moisturiser for a stay over at her boyfriend's, and then decided to use his post shave balm (yes, a product that is designed for MEN!) and used it not only as moisturiser but a primer as well.

Since that story was broken to rest of the us, hoards of women have found themselves venturing down the men's section and stocking up on this magic potion, resulting in claims that it can even outperform some of best primers on the market (really?)


The size and formula

Ok, the Nivea Post Shave Balm costs around £5.29 which is often on offer for as little as £3, and is easily accessible from your local supermarket, Superdrug and Boots. It comes in a light-weight white milky consistency of no less than 100ml, and is assisted with a very light masculine scent, which I actually quite like but doesn't linger around for very long - So don't worry, you won't smell like your Dad! Haha! 

Now when you consider the size and price of a lot of primers that are out there, ranging from £15 upwards for a half decent one and size wise can be anything from a measly 24ml for Porefessional from Benefit (I always thought that was such a ridiculous size) to the more standard size of 30mlyou can kind of see why this has become the more desirable choice. 

So what's the secret ingredient in this high street fad?...."Glycerin."  And there's plenty of it! Glycerin helps products to "adhere to the skin" and also helps to "lock in moisture"There's no alcohol in this either which also makes this an excellent choice for calming and moisturising the skin too!


Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm Review


(Excuse my ganglion scar!)

It's all in the application 

I find that the best method of application is to warm the product by rubbing your hands together then apply using a patting or press motion, similar to a man slapping on after shave if you like. What this does is help provide a tacky surface to help your foundation to stick to. 


Overall thoughts

My skin felt really soft, and loved the way it instantly calmed my skin but didn't feel greasy or sticky. Just clean and refreshed. 

I got to admit, I found this an excellent alternative to my standard primer and such a cheap one too, so I'll definitely be keeping a bottle of this in my drawer for those occasions, when I've run out of my standard primer or may even switch to using this in the Winter if my skin becomes really dry.  

But despite this keeping my makeup looking fresh as a daisy all day long, unfortunately that's all it does because I don't find it mattified my skin much, nor minimise my pores either, because it's doesn't contain any silicone ingredients like Dimethicone, which is commonly used to make skin feel like silk, helps mattify and give that blur effect. So that might be something to think about before you rush out and buy it. If that doesn't bother you, I definitely recommend it! 


Have you tried the Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm? 



                                                                          Toni. Xoxo 







SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I didn't even know this was a thing and clicked on this post purely to read about it! I can't believe this actually can work, definitely want to try it! :) xx

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with whatever you said, it's nice to keep my skin moisturised and helps the makeup stay longer but it won't replace my favourite primers which not only extend the wear time of my foundation but also mattify and blur imperfections ;) x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using this months and probably reach for it more than other primers! I find that my makeup glides on so much easier and doesn't go patchy and my skin doesn't dry out! xo

    Samantha’s Beauty Loves

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig