A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 2 January 2017

Beauty Favourites for 2016





Happy New Year!

Oh - my - god! This list was such a difficult one to put together. It just grew and grew!!! I nearly scrapped it! I have truly enjoyed so many products this year! But, amongst all that shimmer and glimmer, I think for me, skincare products proved to be the biggest players when it came to making a difference during my beauty journey this year! I had some skin issues that I wanted to address. And whilst I wouldn't exactly say I've eradicated them all, they've certainly made a huge difference in how my skin behaves. What I've also featured is just a few makeup products (otherwise we'd be here all day!) that really hit the mark when it comes to suitability for my skin type and tone.

Now, despite being a huge palette junkie, none are featured here because it was just too difficult to choose as I rotate them quite a lot! 








 We all saw how Deciem brand -The Ordinary sent the beauty world into melt-down and left their premier counterparts quivering with fear! After they created a range that's not only affordable, they work! Since discovering this amazing brand, I've seen a massive difference in how my skin looks. For years, I was never a fan of  the liquid foundation because they emphasized my open pores so much! Since I began using the Niacinamide, I've finally been able to enjoy wearing these as my skin is so much smoother, my pores have shrunk and my sebum production has slowed down! There are so many other products I've enjoyed from the range too! And I plan on sharing these at a later date. 



 Thanks to skincare guru, Caroline Hirons, this is pretty much where my journey began in discovering and using another form of exfoliating (apart from AHA creams) to which I absolutely love! This is such a great and gentle way of de-buffing any of that dull, dry and flaky skin, making the complexion incredibly smooth and also breathing new life into it. However, since starting using the Niacinamide, I can only use this on alternate evenings because to use them together would be too much for the skin.



You'll have to excuse the dodgy looking tube, (haha) as I've just finished it! I kinda get the feeling you won't have seen the last of this product, and by the end of next year you'll be sick of hearing about it! I admit - initially, I wasn't all that keen on the scent. At the time, I'd just finished using Cleanse & Polish from Liz Earle (which you'd have to agree, does smell amazing!) and was comparing scents. But over time I began to like it. This is such a great cleanser for removing all your makeup - including mascara! A little really does go a long way as you don't need to use much because you mix it together with water. My skin looks so much more well rested in the mornings and feels really soft and smooth. What I also love about this, is the creamy formula makes this ideal to use in all seasons, whether it be freezing cold or in the sweltering heat.     



This is such a great serum that works as a great companion with any moisturiser. It gives my combination skin that burst of hydration that makes my skin look wide awake and glow-y without it looking greasy! The milky gel-like lotion is clever enough to not only work as a lightweight serum but also hydrating enough to use on it's own as a moisturiser during the Summer months. I've purchased this quite a few times throughout the year in various sizes. 







I discovered this absolute blinder thanks to Christine from the blog Temptalia. I know what you're thinking - it's a bronzer, right? And you'd be right! But only for very pale and porcelain skin tones. But for the likes of me, it performs great as an everyday natural highlighter, giving that subtle glow that looks like it's come form the natural oils from your skin. None of that glittery-ness is shown, so for just £6.00 this really is a little star! And you get such huge size as well! Look! I've even hit pan





Throughout the whole year, this has got to be the most worn lip shade I own - especially for work. I don't own that many lippies from Mac (the only others I own are Blankety and Velvet Teddy) but what I will say is they really do know how to produce a nude shade, don't they?! There are so many more I want to try! I love the warmth that Shy Girl gives; it really uplifts my complexion in such a flattering way, and the creamsheen formula is so comfortable and a joy to wear! I also love how it gives the right amount of sheen to the finish too! So, beautiful! 




Oh dear lord, this is just so pretty! This is just the bomb for whenever I want a more Pink-ier glow! Aura is always on stand by for achieving that ice cool strobe on top of my cheek bones. For £19, I think this formula is amazing - it really is! This shade blows me away each time I wear it! The formula is incredibly smooth and buttery, giving the most wonderful sheen without emphasising too much texture on my skin. I know their highlighter palette that they brought out before Christmas came under a lot flack due to being way too glittery! These formulas from the Afterglow range are nothing like that palette. So, don't think these are the same because their not.


Hylamide HA Blur Primer - review

A fairly new addition to my collection, that's really transformed the way a foundation can look on my skin. It's now my holy grail! There is no way I can ever run out of this and not have back up supply.  Never before have I been able to achieve that soft focus look (which has felt like a lifetime searching). This primer contains Hyaluronic acid in a powder base form to achieve that blurring effect but also helps to provide that plumpness to the skin. It's no wonder why my foundation looks so good!


Too Faced Primed & Poreless Pressed Powder - review

 Despite my initial reservations regarding this product, this product has managed to totally transform the way I view powders in a compact form -  forever! Loose powders were my go-to for very long time, with the HD one from ELF being the favourite for at least the last 18 months! Primed & Poreless has been the perfect powder for setting my makeup. It achieves that poreless blurred finish in my t-zone like no other I have ever experienced - especially when paired with the Hylamide HA Blur. These two are the dynamic duo!




I'm just going to talk about the blusher here as I think Flowerchild is such a great shade to wear for that everyday flush of colour that brightens up my complexion nicely! These formulas really do blend well as some that I've discovered in the past can come off a little patchy and dry! I've so enjoyed wearing this since I bought it back in August which also encouraged me to go on and purchase their latest limited edition - Blushed with Light Palette


I purchased this way back in June when I got the amazing opportunity to go to IMATS in London. I have been using this a lot despite having to mix with others to deepen the shade during the warmer months. I love how it gives me a flawless healthy glow without going too overboard (shiny, shiny) and also gives medium coverage pretty much instantly and without too much effort! I don't suffer with dry patches which is probably why it's worked for me. You may have seen the one from L.A Girl floating about that looks very similar in packaging. If you suffer with dry skin, you may get on better with that one as it's different from the Ultra HD. In my opinion, I wouldn't call this a dupe as some people have claimed.


I find myself using this sponge all the time now. It applies my foundation without it ever looking cakey! I really love the natural looking feel it gives to my skin, everything looks so well blended. My latest way of applying foundation is that I like to swipe it on first then dab a second layer just on the areas that need extra coverage (normally my cheeks). I also notice that it limits that tacky feel you get sometimes when applying foundation, like it's not setting. When my skin's been really oily I also think this has been brilliant to use whilst damp for setting loose powder.  

Which products are your favourites for 2016? Are there any featured here?




Toni. xoxo
































SHARE:

23 comments

  1. Too faced have so sweet packaging!


    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really must try the Pixi glow tonic, it sounds amazing!

    www.beautylifebecca.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love the Real Techniques sponge too! You're so right about it giving a natural look. I can't imagine my makeup routine without it.

    Bethany | Curly and Wordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's amazing! And so affordable too! xx

      Delete
  4. I really want to try the Pixi Glow Tonic, it sounds lovely! Great post x

    http://luxuryblush.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, one for your list in 2017? xx

      Delete
  5. The UD highlighters look stunning, I've especially been interested in the shade Sin. I've contemplated picking up the WNW Reserve Your Cabana as I've heard it's a dupe for the Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders and it's so much cheaper. I think WNW has a lot of hidden gems at the drugstore, they really have a lot of impressive products for such a low price tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received Sin for Christmas and it's lovely! I agree, WNW do have a lot of hidden gems!xx

      Delete
  6. I keep seeing The Ordinary serums in peoples' favourites - I'll have to try them! 2016 was a pretty lacklustre year for me beauty-wise, no amazing finds or favourites this year :(

    Lexie | nailgirl.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the price, you've got nothing to lose! xx

      Delete
  7. Great picks! I adore Glow Tonic and need to try some of The Ordinary products! Becca Flowerchild is on my wishlist! xx

    Beautylymin| LuxuryFragranceBundleGiveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I know you have Siobhán. I'm always eyeing up your skincare stash. haha! xx

      Delete
  8. Great products! I've heard a lot of good things about the Pixi tonic.
    xx isabellaschoice.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just started using the glow tonic and my skin has improved so much I'm in love with the product! That MAC lipstick is also beautiful! I've just found your blog and am in love so I've followed you on bloglovin!
    Charlotte / Charlotte's Picks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, lovely!!! I'll come and find you! Glad you've been loving the Pixi glow tonic too! xx

      Delete
  10. i always hear great things about the Pixi glow tonic but i have never tried it. Also the urban decay afterglow highlighter is so pretty! love it. your list is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! Perhaps, the Pixi Glow Tonic should be the one to try this year. :) xx

      Delete
  11. Hi Toni, fantastic post and beautiful blog! I'm so excited to get stuck in to all your posts with a cup of coffee :) I'm going to have to get MAC shy girl and Too Faced primed and poreless! Thanks for sharing x Shahz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! Pleasure to meet you! I hope you have a big mug! There's a lot of posts to get through! haha!xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig