A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 9 January 2017

Reflecting Back on 2016 & Blogging Goals For The Year Ahead!


blogging goals for sheer gloss beauty blog


Hey, everyone!


I can't quite believe I've been regularly posting my little thoughts on this beauty blog for a little over a year now. Blogging has been such a MASSIVE learning curve for me and I have no doubt 2017 will continue to prove this otherwise. For something that started out just as a bit of fun and something to do during my spare time, I had no idea I would end the year having gained some confidence and feel I've accomplished something I never dreamed of doing - not in a million years, and totally learn from scratch! But I'd be lying to if I said my journey has been all rainbows and kittens! As there have been many occasions when I've lost that self belief and wondered "what the hell am I doing?" But, I've put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this blog and managed to stick with it, which resulted in seeing my blog grow - especially during the second half of the year where I reached my target a lot earlier than expected. Hard work really does pay off! But more needs to be done.

And of course, more importantly, YOU, my followers, by choosing and allowing me into your lives like some beauty friend who lives across the street (sorry if this sounds a bit soppy!) and thoroughly enjoyed our little chit-chats on Instagram. You have no idea how much this means to me, so, thank you for that.



Pixiwoo! 

Just before the start of 2016, I gained 10 new friends from a makeup course I attended, that was run by the hugely successful YouTube Vloggers and Make Up Artists - Pixiwoo. Despite living in various parts of the country and with 3 living in the U.S and 2 living in Germany, we still keep in contact. Some of us had manage to attend our last big meet up at IMATS in London back in June which we plan on doing again, although may be not at IMATs this time - we'll have to see. I still see one of the girls quite regularly whenever she's down my way which is so lovely!

So, what's in store for 2017?


I don't really have any huge personal goals as such like a lot of other bloggers do. Being that certain age, I've past that buying my first home stage (in actual fact, I've finished my mortgage!) I've had my children although the eldest will be reaching a new milestone of being 16 (eeek!!!) Then discovering just before Christmas I hit early menopause - oh the joys! I'm only 44! Despite not wanting any more children, it doesn't stop me feeling kinda sad knowing you'll be coming to an end of this chapter.

As for the blog - I just have little goals, really! But one thing I'd really like to is to take my blog to the next level if that's at all possible. You know, the usual kind of things like: Improve my SEO. Purchase a custom domain, perhaps! Apply a few tweaks into the design, maybe? Leave more comments on blogs which I've just started doing (wi-fi permitting!) and of course, try and install Disqus (still rubbish with tech). I'd also like to discover more blogs to follow as I really enjoy reading other people's ideas, vision and aspect on things.


Gain more opportunities working with Brands

To begin with,  I wasn't too fussed whether I'd hear from Beauty brands or not and whether they wanted to work with me. I kinda felt as this was just a hobby blog, it wasn't that essential. My aim was, and still is, just to share chit-chats about my passion. But that all changed after receiving my first proper PR collaboration during the second half of the year as I started to receive emails from brands wanting to reach out more! I'd be over the moon if this continued as I think this is an excellent way to get to know brands. Plus, let's face it - this can be a rather expensive hobby to keep up, and accepting the odd freebie from time to time certainly has it's perks!  


Accept that it's ok to take a break! 

The one thing I really need to learn is when to take a break and slow down a little! I use to be really scared that if I didn't post, my number in followers would drop, which of course is plain daft!

I've been posting  regularly (with the odd break or two) twice a week for well over a year now, and there have been many occasions when I've really struggled to write due to tiredness and burnout and has resulted in that meltdown in creativity - I'm sure it must've shown! Plus, the last thing I want to do, is see this as a chore! It's meant to be a hobby and an enjoyment, right? It's not a job that I get paid for. Plus, I also need to learn that it's quality rather than quantity that's the key - so, I've thought of perhaps dropping a post and maybe just post every Monday and every other Friday instead. Although, it's something I need to think about more.




What are your goals for this year? What were your biggest achievements in 2016? 




Toni. Xoxo





SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I hope you are able to achieve your goals for the new year!
    Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan for this year! The pixiwoo makeup course sounds like fun!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I am past a certain age (turning 38 end Jan) and I have long learned that new year resolutions and me will never be friends. I have always been a person who does changes when and how I want, I don't see the point of waiting for the new year.

    My eldest is already 14 and I still can't believe that I have a teenage son! Oh, the horror! LOL! On the blogging front I plan to take a step back which means less online presence. And I also want to be extremely picky about PR samples. I looked back at my 2016 blog posts and there are way too many PR samples and that has to change this year.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look amazing for 38!!! Puts me to shame haha! That's a shame Shireen. We'll miss you. xx

      Delete
  4. Girl you look nothing like 44, you're doing so well for yourself! Brand opportunities are always quite exciting!
    Charlotte / Charlotte's Picks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think you'd soon change you mind if you saw me in the flesh! haha!

      Delete
  5. congrats Toni on keeping it up! Blogging definately is a learning curve, and totally agree with blood, sweat & tears. I have found it hard with my illness, no-one really see's what I actually go through, as i focus on the blog. Thats what keeps me going, and it becomes part of your life, but we must take breaks and not get too caught up in it. I started having real issues with my periods and hormones around 5 years ago. When I had my hip replaced (2yrs in May), that night i started the sweats & had no period for 3 months. Then they came back and last summer..that was it. They say you need to have 'no' periods for a year before they class it as the true menopause. I wonder if that was a man who came up with that?!
    You're doing really well lovely..keep going and believe in yourself, I'm sure you'll have many different opportunities ahead.
    H x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an incredibly sweet comment! Thank you so much, Heidi. I agree, I bet that was a man! The sweats sound horrific! Although, I've only suffered mild sweats at the moment. Our blogs have become such an important outlet for us to express, escape and free our minds, and what's also great is the social aspect that comes with it. I'm so sorry to hear of your illness. It must be incredibly hard for you. Let's hope 2017 provides you with a lot pain-free and a lot more comfortable year. xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig