A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Friday, 12 May 2017

Make-up Tip: 6 Ways to Prevent Your Mascara From Clumping!


How To Prevent Your Mascara From Clumping




One of the bugbears of applying mascara is that it doesn't take much for your lashes to end up in a clumpy mess. When this happens, we often feel it's a sign that the formula has dried-out and it's time to replace it with a new one. But as you and I know, this isn't always the case is it? So, what do we do? We often blame the formula, don't we?! Although some just suck no matter what you do! Now before we begin, I just want to add that I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to applying mascaras (no way!) But what I do have is a few little tricks that I've picked up over the years that have worked for me in preventing gloopy lashes. Have you tried any of these? 



1: Ensure your lashes are clean 

This may sound blatantly obvious but you'll be surprised the difference it makes in achieving that clump-free lash. Last nights sleep and left over mascara can be the biggest culprits in preventing your mascara from applying evenly. You may think you've removed all of yesterday's mascara but you'll be surprised how much of it is still there and has dried in over night. So, what I like to do is give my lashes a quick sweep of eye make up remover to remove any remains of yesterday's mascara (there's always some there in the mornings, no matter what cleanser I use) and to also remove any dry flaky skin that has appeared during my beauty sleep. 


2: Give that mascara wand a clean too! 


You'd be amazed just how much c#*p (excuse my French!) gets built up in the bristles of the mascara wand. Just like your eye area, your wand will need to be regularly cleaned too as the combination of fresh and dried-in formula isn't going to do you any favours. Again, a mixture of build up from dried skin from your lids (eww!) and dried mascara is a sure fast way to achieve clumpy lashes. So, every so often, I just give the wand a good clean over with tissue soaked with eye makeup remover. Also give the thread around the top of the tube a quick wipe too, to ensure it can be closed properly and keep the air out.   


3:  Use a lash comb

An invaluable tool that many of us forget to use, including myself. These are great for when the worst happens by separating the lashes and removing any of that clumpy-ness. It might be worth combing them through after each application, if the formula is really thick. 


4: Too much pumping! 

Pumping the wand is bad for your mascara as it allows way too much air into the tube and makes the formula dry out because when it dries, it thickens. I always swirl the wand inside the tube to ensure the bristles can reach fresh mascara. Plus, you've paid good money for this, you don't want to waste what's left inside the tube. 

5: Overloading the wand and applying too many layers

Some tubes are not fitted with a wiping mechanism that wipes off excess as you remove the wand. So for tubes that don't have this, I just give the wand a quick wipe to remove any excess before applying. Another way to remove excess is to push the wand to one side as you draw the wand out of the tube. Apply your first coat with this side before turning the wand to apply with the other side. 

We are obsessed with big lashes (and rightly so) and something we are all guilty of is layering too much. Some lash formulas are thicker than others and are not formulated to cope with the constant build up from layering. 2 coats should be sufficient.  


6: To wiggle or not to wiggle! 

This really comes down to personal preference, but I find if I use the wiggling method, it can sometimes give me short clumpy lashes - not always - but a lot of the time. So for me, I find brushing in a fanning out motion works much better for providing an even coated lash.



Do you have any other tips to prevent mascara from clumping? 



Toni. xoxo

SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I do all these! Applying and wearing mascara is my least favourite part of my beauty routine! I always struggle with it. My only other tip is if you are using a setting spray, do it before you apply mascara x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do all these! Applying and wearing mascara is my least favourite part of my beauty routine! I always struggle with it. My only other tip is if you are using a setting spray, do it before you apply mascara x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mascara clumping is the worst, when you think you've got your lashes perfect then you go over just once more and it's ruined haha! I always wipe my mascara wand before I apply as there is always way too much product on there.

    Alice | alicemaysnell

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig