A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 15 May 2017

Rediscovering Metallics : Which One Wore Best?


Metallic Liquid Lipsticks : Which One Is Best?  

The metallic lip trend has been back with us for a quite a while now. A trend that I embraced with open arms way back in the late eighties (really showing my age now) sharing fond memories of the pink-y bronzed lipstick from Lancome that I repurchased about 3 times, before it was finally discontinued (I was hooked!) Whilst I don't remember that metallic effect being quite as full-on as we've seen of late, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for that reflective pout; as my one minute warm, the other minute cool undertone proved, and still is, quite difficult when it comes to choosing shades. So, for a very long time and pretty much up until the introduction of the nudes, that pearlescent glow, preferably from a Bronze or Gold, was always a staple in my lip wardrobe to provide that extra plumpness!

Unfortunately, with the looming celebration of entering the mid-forties, left me unsure as to whether I could still pull this off.  But the shades I'll be sharing with you today proved too gorgeous to just walk away, and ended up with 3; one from Makeup Revolution; one from ColourPop and the other from Gerard Cosmetics.



Metallic Liquid Lipsticks : Which One Is Best?  



Makeup Revolution | Retro Luxe Metallic Lip Kit | We Rule | £6.00


Obviously inspired by the Kylie lip kits, this lip combo set is my first and only one I own from this lip kit trend. It comprises of a stunning Rose Gold toned gloss and a metallic lip pencil to match (something I've never seen before). The pencil itself isn't as super pigmented as I'd like, but it's enough to do its thing without interfering with the shade of the gloss.

I really like the Rose Gold packaging which I think is stunning and gives the overall look that more expensive appeal. The shade of the gloss is nicely pigmented with the reflective metallic element sharing a more cooler, Silvery feel rather than Gold that's so often seen. The doe-foot wand applicator ensures easy application that leaves a comfortable feel on the lips. Overall, I think this is a great little kit from Revolution. However the only unfortunate thing, is being as it's a gloss, it doesn't last as long as a matte formula would. But for a lip product that's super comfortable and affordable, I'm more than happy to accept that.



ColourPop | Ultra Metallic Lip in Maneater | $6.00 | 2.8g - for full review



If it wasn't for those annoying custom fee charges, I'd be placing an order with this brand every month! Longevity wise? This offering from ColourPop proved to be the better one out of the three, but that's not without preparing the lip area first, as it can be just a tad drying if I over apply. This is another stunning Rose Gold that I've been loving, that's super pigmented, but shares a more of a darker bronze-ier tone, in comparison to the one above. The formula applies smoothly and provides excellent wear until I eat something greasy.  


Gerard Cosmetics | Hydra Matte Metallic Liquid Lipstick | Dreamweaver | £11 | 1.7ml 


This is the smallest one of the three, sharing only 1.7ml of product, and after falling in love with the shade on Instagram, I decided to grab it when it was on offer for around £8 from Beauty Bay.

I've lost count the amount of times I've heard other bloggers rave about the formulas from Gerard Cosmetics. Are you ready for this? It's one of the worst formulas I've ever tried! It's awful, which leaves me devastated because the mid-toned Gold from Dreamweaver is absolutely gorgeous! Now I know some brands have shades which can come off better than others, so I'm not sure as to whether this is a true reflection of the entire range. But I also have another one from their Hydra Matte range, and whilst that's much better, I feel it's time to move away from these matte liquid formulas.

The formula from this metallic is quite drying and you feel it clinging-on for dear life! It also has a tendency of applying quite patchy too. When you stretch or taut the lip, the formula breaks apart and shows up the lip lines, giving that impression you haven't applied properly. I've even tried applying a lip balm before hand, and whilst the application is better, it's still not that great. Apart from the shade, the only other good thing about this formula is its sweet scent. Unfortunately, because I love the shade, I don't want to waste it. So I just use it as a light topper for now. 


Metallic Liquid Lipsticks : Which One Is Best?  



Have you tried any of these? What are your favourite metallic shades? 



Toni. xoxo
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Wow such gorgeous shades! U had no idea Makeup Revolution made a rose gold kit. Shame about the Gerard Cosmetics formula xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a fan of metallic lip products like this as I just find them a little odd, the shades do look very pretty though!

    Alice | alicemaysnell

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig