A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 8 May 2017

The Ordinary Colours Foundation Review: The Product That Caused Its Website To Crash!


The Ordinary Colours Serum Foundation 

For the poor guys at Deciem, Victoria Health or anywhere else that sells this foundation, it must feel like Black Friday all over again, except it's every single day and 10 times worse!!! After reading that they had received orders for over 250,000 units in its first week, I was really unsure as to whether to publish this post as the last thing I wanted was to increase the demand - Oops! But considering YouTuber Wayne Goss has already revealed his thoughts to his millions of subscribers, I soon realised I'm just a small fish swimming in a very large ocean.






So, after receiving huge success with the Ordinary skincare range, the Abnormal Beauty Company decided a foundation range was to be born in the name of Colours featuring two formulas that were released last month: the Serum foundation for lighter coverage and the Coverage foundation which is pretty much self explanatory giving a more fuller coverage. At the time of writing this review both formulations are currently out of stock. But you can be placed on a waiting list until new stock arrives. However, you will have to be patient though as there is a bit of a wait. You'll be joining the other 25,000 that are already on there.

Because the price was so ridiculous I decided to order both formulations so I could see which one I'd prefer. So far, I have only received the Serum foundation which is what I'll be reviewing today. Hopefully I won't have to wait too much longer for the Coverage foundation to arrive.

The Ordinary Colours Serum Foundation 

The Serum Foundation



The Colours Serum foundation is (as the name suggests) a serum based lightweight, oil-free, formula that gives light-medium coverage with a natural feel. It comes with 30ml of product and costs £5.70. The range comes in a "staggering" 21 shades and also comes with an SPF15 that's without any chemical sunscreens (not bad for budget brand foundation, eh?!)


The Packaging


The bottle is made of plastic and comes with a pump dispenser. The overall size of the bottle is a lot smaller than your traditional foundations which is great as this will take up less space in your makeup bag. As I just mentioned, it comes with a pump, which you have to turn to open before dispensing the product out. However, despite the twisty pump applicator it would have still been nice to have received a cap to cover the leftover drips although a quick swipe with a sponge soon sorts that out.

 The Shades



As I just mentioned, the foundation comes in 21 shades. I've enclosed a link to the guide where you'll see the shades divided into four categories: 1 for fair to light tone, 2 for medium and 3 for darker tones. Beside each shade there is a second digit to indicate the depth of the shade.

Also beside the digits there is a letter that represents each undertone: Y = Yellow; PPink; RRed and
N = Neutral, and there is also a few that come with the letter S & G. These represent shades that also include Silver or Gold highlights; these shades use natural-looking and exceptionally fine dispersions of metallic effect pigments for added highlight. The Ordinary will introduce individual enhancers and highlighters in the near future to customize all shades (oh boy!).

I ordered shade 2.1P as in the photo it looked closest to my skin tone and didn't really look that pink. And I'll be honest, I didn't really have high hopes for this formula as it's meant to be less coverage. 2.1P is the lightest shade in their medium category with a Pink undertone. For the Coverage formula I ordered a Yellow undertone which I normally prefer to liven up my skin tone.

The medium shade turned out a little too dark but is workable, and once I've added concealer it looks fine, although in the last few days I decided to add a smidgen of Body Shop Lighting Drops just to lift the shade a little. Now obviously Pink undertones have come a long way since I last used them as this one didn't share that obvious pink tone at all as you can see in the photo below.






The Formula


"The pigments used in this format are treated for a rich, highly-saturated effect. These pigments are suspended in our proprietary spreadability system that allows pigments to look natural on the skin, resist collecting within fine lines and stay on for longer."    

The consistency is quite runny so you will have to be a bit careful when applying, and also because it's so runny you have to give the bottle a little shake at first (a bit like Mac's face & body foundation). If you're familiar with face & body you will know how thin and runny it is. The Serum foundation is just a touch thinner than face & body but the finish isn't as glow-y.

Just for the record, my skin type is combination/dehydrated with oiliness in the t-zone. Despite suffering from ageing and a bit of redness, it's smooth and in pretty good condition.

I found the best way to apply this is with a dry RT sponge by swiping on a layer first before dabbing extra in the areas where needed (mainly the cheeks). The formula is very build-able and blends very nicely to give medium coverage that looks really natural on the skin and doesn't collect in the lines of my forehead like a lot of them do - I was really impressed! One thing I will say is you might still need a concealer to cover any spots, but even then I don't think you'll be using much! The foundation gives a semi-matte/satin finish that's not at all chalky - in fact, it's a lot more moisturising than I expected to be.


Overall thoughts


For £5.70, I think this foundation is incredible for a formula that's so lightweight and thin. It'll be perfect to wear for the hot Summer months if we finally get any that is! I was really surprised how well it covered as I thought there is no way this is going to give me coverage but it did! It blends amazing well and looks so natural on the skin. I honestly couldn't get over how well it covers and evens out my complexion. The pigmentation is pretty impressive when I consider how thin the formula is. I can't wait to try the fuller-coverage foundation as the pigmentation in meant to be even stronger! 

I love the way the shades are categorised but more importantly how they've represented each undertone. It's a massive plus as some brands simply labelling shades as Vanilla, Sand, Honey, Beige or even worse, Natural, gives very little indication as to how the shades are going to be. 

Throughout the 10 days of trying this, I paired it up with various different primers which all worked fine. Now I'm not one of those people that expect foundations to still look super fresh after 15 hours of wear but on the whole it performed just a good as any high-end foundation I own. By the late evening I did notice some movement on the nose and chin area if I'm really going to be picky but nothing major. I didn't use a setting spray either. Even if you end up choosing the wrong shade the formula would still make an excellent product to mix with your other foundations. 

Now it's over to you!

Have you tried The Ordinary Colours Serum foundation? Are you one of the many thousands that are on the waiting list? 



Toni. xoxo















SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig