A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Friday, 2 June 2017

Hourglass | Ambient Lighting Edit Palette - Surreal Light : Review and Swatches




The Ambient Lighting Edit Palette in Surreal Light is probably the most expensive makeup product I own, and one that had my husband witness me lose all sense over when I politely asked for his assistance in purchasing this (in other words, his wallet!) last Christmas (yes, that long ago!) For as long as I can remember, I'd read nothing but people raving about Hourglass. So when they released this limited edition, I thought it'd be a great way to try a variety of different products and see what all the fuss was about. Unfortunately, unlike other fans of Hourglass, for me, my love affair with this palette proved no easy ride due to the timing of this rather warmed toned, summer-esque compact was released (in the middle of British Winter); and other than the odd outing, it had pretty much been sitting left redundant in my drawer - until recently.





Hourglass claim that this is meant to bring the magic hour of perfect lighting where the sun brings the softest, most flattering glow to the complexion, which generally appears as the sun sits west - which brings me back to my thoughts on the timing of its initial release. That sun set glow didn't quite work well for me in the middle of Winter - just "too much warmth" and left me convinced I had the wrong undertone! (not a good start for something so friggin expensive!) But as soon as Spring/Summer arrived and I ditched the glow-y foundations, all those initial thoughts had vanished! So here's to a very late review on a palette you can still purchase from Space NK for an eye watering price of £69.

The Ambient Lighting Edit palette is a limited edition and contains 5 exclusive shades that are housed in a gorgeous marble effect compact. There is also a nice size mirror to help you apply on the go or for applying for those close touch-ups! Hourglass claim that it's formulated with Photoluminescent Technology to capture, diffuse and soften surrounding line to refine the appearance of the skin. It also delivers a multidimensional luminescence to every skin tone, making it appear softer, younger and lit-from-within. It's the every skin tone part I have an issue with as I don't feel this is suitable for every skin tone, clearly not mine during Winter!

          

 


The shades are:

Surreal Light: a sheer nude powder evoking the magic hour of perfect lighting.

I really like this for a soft, satin-y glow along the cheekbone or for an all-over glow on the cheek area. I recently discovered it works brilliantly as a finishing powder when paired with the more matte/semi-matte foundations or hybrids such a Urban Decay One and Done for adding a subtle glow. Not one for my t-zone though! 

Surreal Bronze Light: a neutral tan shade fused with Surreal Light, for a subtle, natural warmth.

I love this bronzer from the first moment I received this. It's gives me the most beautiful warmth that's neither too cool nor too warm for me and is great for subtle contouring by mimicking the natural shadows around the face without looking flat or overdone.

Surreal Glow: a pale peony pink blush mixed with Surreal Light for a delicate flush.

A beautiful blusher that's a lot more pigmented than I initially thought. It gives a subtle but very high-end glow and blends effortlessly across the skin. Pairs lovely with the bronzer.

Surreal Effect: a cool, pink rose fused with a soft, warm peach for a pop of flattering colour.

Another really beautiful blusher. This one is a lot more pigmented than the previous one, so I have to apply with a light hand.

Surreal Strobe Light: a glimmering peach powder imparting an alluring highlight.

This is my least favourite as not only is the shade too dark for me, the formula is disappointing as its  shimmery finish emphasises texture. Never used. A total waste!


 

Overall Thoughts


The formulas from 4 out of the 5 shades are simply divine! They provide a very subtle but warm satin-y vein through all the shades which gives the overall effect a very silky, but very expensive finish to the skin. These really do feel like high-end luxury as the textures are very finely milled that make these feel and look super smooth on the skin, something I've never felt before! These don't sit on the skin, they look as though they're part of it! It took me a while to enjoy this but I got there in the end! However I do feel drier complexions will enjoy this more - mainly because they're less restricted when it comes to glow-ier bases. So, any extra is generally welcomed!

But if you have a slightly oilier complexion, like I do, or issues with texture, then a matte or semi/matte base is probably the best way to go when using this. Since the weather's improved, I've been really loving this palette which now leaves me a little puzzled as to why I couldn't of enjoyed this more in the first place. If only I switched my foundation formula during Winter. I will, next time!  



Have you purchased this palette? Did it work out for you? 



Toni xoxo. 

.
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This palette is so beautiful! I love their blushes so much :)
    http://claresloves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig