A U.K based Beauty Blog created by a makeup enthusiast.

Monday, 31 July 2017

Tarte Shape Tape Concealer: Is it Really The Bee's Knees?


Tarte Shape Tape Concealer


Once in while, a product comes a long that everyone loses their shit over (excuse my French!). This time, it's Tarte Shape Tape!  I haven't heard this much buzz over a concealer since Mac's Prolong Wear during the early years of YouTube (which use to be an old favourite of mine) along with the later release of the Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer. According to the website from Tarte, a tube of Shape Tape is sold every 26 SECONDS!!! But like with a lot of these hyped up products, this soon went out of stock before I had the chance to say "dark circles!" Our only UK Tarte distributor is QVCUK.




So, the full name of  this concealer is Double Duty Shape Tape Concealer  - meaning it can be used as a concealer for under the eyes and for covering spots and blemishes. It can also be used for contour/highlight to shape the face, hence the name. For the latter, you are going to need more than one shade. So, the reason why the worlds going crazy over this concealer is that it's meant to be a highly pigmented formula that's super longwearing, gives full coverage with a smooth matte finish. It's also meant to be hydrating and lightweight so it doesn't feel heavy or provide that cakey appearance on the skin. 

Packaging


The concealer comes in a tube with 10ml of product which may sound a lot more than your average concealer but remember, this is also meant to be for contouring & highlighting purposes too! The doe-foot wand applicator is huge and makes it a bit awkward to apply under the eye area.

Stockists and Cost.


As I just mentioned, Shape Tape can be purchased from QVCUK and costs £28.00 - which does seem a lot for just Concealer but you do also get a sponge to blend it with. Fortunately for me, it was on easy payments, however, the stinger for me was that I didn't need another sponge as I have plenty already from Real Techniques. The sponge itself turned out to be much more soft and bouncier than my one from RT but is a little big for under the eye - great for the contouring aspect though. If you order direct from the Tarte website it comes without the sponge and costs only £19. But there are shipping costs & custom fees to think about. In the UK, it comes in 6 shades and I ordered  Light Medium which did look a little peachy on first view but turned out to be a good match once on the skin.

In the US, you can purchase this direct from Tarte, Ulta and QVC.com. At the moment, it doesn't seem to be stocked at Sephora as it's an Ulta exclusive. Also in the US, it comes in a lot more shades -14 to be precise!


Tarte Shape Tape Concealer


Tarte Shape Tape Concealer


Doe-foot wand comparison with Maybelline's Fit Me Concealer

Tarte Shape Tape Concealer


The formula


The formula has a thick, creamy consistency which sets pretty quickly! Dry skins may not appreciate the thick texture but have a feeling Oily skins will love this! I also discovered there is a lemony scent to this which I could only smell close up. The scent doesn't really bother me as I'm used to scented eye products from my Too Faced eyeshadow palettes. I really only need a tiny amount otherwise it will settle into my fine lines and wrinkles if I apply too much! After a bit of trial and error, I found a way that worked best for me. 

I have this annoying little vein mark under the eye (although I'm not sure if its actually a vein) and despite trying several concealers, it soon peeks through during the course of the day. None of them has offered me that long-lasting, all day coverage that I'm after until I discovered this! I also found this excellent for covering spots too!


Application 



I don't apply in a war paint method like you see regularly on YouTube. I just add to the back of my hand then apply using a brush. I then use the sponge whilst slightly damp to blend. However, I find I have to ensure the sponge isn't too wet, otherwise the formula feels tight and uncomfortable. I find this to be the best way to prevent overload and resulting in that cakey mess! It blends nicely and evenly, and after a couple of applications, it gives me excellent coverage that lasts all day. What I really love about this is as I'm blending, the pigmentation stays true throughout and doesn't sheer out like a lot of them do. My undereye area looks smooth, my fine lines isn't enhanced too much and it feels comfortable. It didn't look as matte as I thought it would - just hydrated and well rested.  But as in saying that, I would've liked it to be just a tad more emollient, as the lines under my eyes become that little more obvious towards the end of the day. But that  really is very late in the evening.  

Unfortunately, it does crease a little in  the corner near the tear duct area but most of them do that anyway. So I found if I apply a touch of primer first, it helps to prevent the creasing (I used The Ordinary High-Adherence Silicone Primer). Careful application of powder of the tiniest amount is also applied on top of where it creases. That's the only area where  I use powder and most certainly don't do the baking method. If I did, I'd look 100!!!

To hide more of the shadow of the bag, I lightly apply Seventeen's Wow Concealer to provide some extra light to give that bounce-off effect from the darkness. It really is only a smidgen, otherwise it will cake! The formula from the Shape Tape seems to cling on to this and help the longevity of the highlighter more so than I've ever had the chance to say "bye, bye bag!"  
    
Just to give you an idea, I've added a photo of some swatches below sharing shade comparisons with other brands. Shape Tape is in Light Medium.


Tarte Shap Tape Concealer Review


Is it worth the hype?


For me, yes it is! And the more I use it, the more I love it! The coverage and longevity is excellent and have finally been able to ditched the corrector that I used to use on that annoying mark!  It stays hidden all day until I take my makeup off - even in hot weather! Plus, it makes my under eye area look smoother too! My only gripe is the price! I mean....come on? Why does it have to come with a sponge, when in the US it can be purchased without? 


Have you tried Shape Tape?



Toni. xoxo

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This has been on my list to try for so long but I don't want to splash out £28 when I don't need a sponge haha

    http://claresloves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I read every one, I really do appreciate it! Don't forget to leave a link of your blog so I can come and view yours. However, this is not an invitation to spam!

Apart from Instagram and Twitter, you can also follow me on my Facebook page Sheer Gloss Beauty Blog.

© Sheer Gloss | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig